G.A.R. Memorial Hall
Also known as: Algona Schoolhouse122 South Dodge Street, Algona, Iowa
+43.06799, -94.2369043°04'05" N, 94°14'13" W
The G.A.R. Memorial Hall (aka Algona Schoolhouse) in Algona, Kossuth County, Iowa is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C. The resource is locally significant as a rare example of early vernacular, timber frame construction. Built in 1867 to serve as a schoolhouse, the two-story building was moved to its present site in 1887 for use by the James C. Taylor Post No. 165 of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.). That change in use required a minimum of alteration to the building the former open classrooms on both the first and the second floors readily accommodated the new occupant's need for assembly and meeting space. The building was subsequently occupied by the American Legion Post (1919-1967) and the Kossuth County Historical Society (1967 to present), both of which utilized the building with little material intervention.
- February 12, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
- August 14, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King
- July 28, 2014: Added by Dave King