324 S.W. Second Avenue, Hallendale, FL
+25.98100, -80.1506925°58'52" N, 80°09'02" W
The Villa Providence is significant at the local level under Criterion C in the area of Architecture for its Italian Renaissance style architecture and under Criterion B for its association with Frank Anthony Curci, a pioneer settler of Hallandale, an accomplished violinist who played with the John Philip Sousa Band, and who became a successful fanner, entrepreneur, community advocate, landscape gardener and the builder of the Villa Providence. Curci and his wife Rosina had seen original examples of the Italian Renaissance style in Italy and it became the style of their dream home. 1 The former residence is considered one of city's important architectural legacies and is believed to be the only mansion built in Hallandale Beach during the Florida Land Boom of the 1920s. 2 The period of significance for the Villa Providence is from 1924, the year it was constructed, to 1955, the year Frank and Rosina Curci sold the property. Until2003, the property saw a number of uses, for a short time serving as a guest house and a sanitarium, and underwent physical changes and deterioration, eventually being abandoned. It was rescued from being demolished and extensively rehabilitated. Its Italian Renaissance style retains its physical integrity of location, design, materials, and workmanship that reflect its historic significance.
- August 9, 2014: Added by Dave King