C. P. Jones House and Law Office
+38.41302, -79.5819938°24'47" N, 79°34'55" W
The C.P. Jones House and Law Office are located on approximately one acre ofland in the Town of Monterey in Highland County, Virginia. The evolved Folk Victorian dwelling has a two-story log core built in ca. 1850 by James Bell that may have functioned as the first tavern in the area, and before the County Courthouse was completed, according to local tradition, it may also have served as the courthouse. During the Civil War, one of the upstairs rooms is believed to have been used as a temporary hospital. In 1873, Charles Pinckney Jones purchased the property and began making additions; several rooms designed by William E. Wilson were added to the dwelling, as well as exterior finishes in the current architectural style-late Victorian-and additional outbuildings were constructed, including Jones's law office. While living in the house, Jones was a practicing lawyer in Highland and surrounding counties, and served as a member of the Virginia State Legislature as a Delegate and a Senator (1883-1897) and of the Board of Visitors for the University of Virginia (1898-1906), where he was also elected by the Board to be the Rector of The University. The house is well-maintained with decorative trim that now gives the dwelling a Late Victorian appearance. Additionally, the property retains several contributing secondary resources including a mid-19th-century brick springhouse site and a frame smokehouse and apple cellar, both built ca. 1900. All are rare surviving resources in the Monterey area. The C. P. Jones House and Law Office is locally significant under National Register Criterion C in Architecture as a well preserved mid- to late-19th -century evolved dwelling with distinctive characteristics of architecture and construction representing the local vernacular trends of the periods. The property is also locally significant under Criteria A and B in Politics/Government and Law for Charles Pinckney Jones who was a practicing lawyer and politician, serving in the state legislature and as the Rector of the University of Virginia. The period of significance begins in ca. 1850, the construction date of the original log section of the dwelling, and ends in 1914 with the death of Jones.
- August 10, 2014: Added by Dave King