Major James Woods House
3042 Rockfish Valley Highway, Nellysford, VA
+37.89093, -78.8699537°53'27" N, 78°52'12" W
Constructed circa 1795 for Major James Woods (1761-1832), Three Chimneys is one of the earliest extant brick houses in Nelson County. The Georgian house with Classical Revival modifications features Flemish bond brickwork, an unusual floor plan, and one of the most elaborate chimney pieces in the area. The property also has several extant outbuildings including an original kitchen constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond. The Major James Woods House (Three Chimneys) has a period of significance ranging from 1795 to 1915, beginning with the approximate date of the house's initial construction and ending with the period in which James Jeter Goodwin and Ressie Goodloe Goodwin added Classical Revival features to the house. It is locally significant under Criterion C as an excellent example of a late Georgian dwelling in Nelson County.
- August 10, 2014: Added by Dave King