River View Cemetery
3635 East Laughery Creek Road, Aurora, Indiana
+39.02648, -84.8874639°01'35" N, 84°53'15" W
"River View Cemetery was established in 1869, by civic leaders of Aurora, Indiana, and is identified with the social history of the town's development from being an Ohio River frontier outpost to the maturing community of commerce and wealth in the later half of the 19th century. The original thirty-acre plat of River View Cemetery was professionally designed in the recognized style of the ""rural"" cemetery movement, a declaration of the town's progress and material capacity. Thus, River View Cemetery demonstrates significance on local, state and national levels. With minimal exceptions, headstones and monuments in the original plat date from the cemetery's founding in 1869 to the middle of the 20th century. Additions of architecture and burial plots are characteristic to their respective periods and otherwise complement the historic scale and character. A twelve-acre 1945 expansion to the cemetery is distinguished from the original plat and does not intrude upon its context or character. With the modern expansion being the place of most contemporary burials, the area of original location maintains its integrity of design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association, therefore meeting National Register Criteria A, C and Criteria Consideration D (for a cemetery). River View Cemetery has statewide significance as one of Indiana's early examples of a professionally designed landscape. The cemetery was an out-of-the-ordinary commission for noted regional architect William Tinsley, which also contributes to the statewide significance of the property."
- December 3, 2019: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- August 11, 2014: Added by Dave King