Bush Temple of Music
100 W. Chicago Ave./ 800 N. Clark St,Chicago, Illinois
+41.89686, -87.6316541°53'49" N, 87°37'54" W
"The Bush Temple of Music, at the northwest comer of West Chicago Avenue and North Clark Street in Chicago, Illinois, fulfills Criterion C for architecture for designation on the National Register of Historic Places as a locally significant example of a commercial building designed in the French Renaissance Revival ""Chateauesque"" style, and as an extremely rare and large-scale example of the style in Chicago. Completed in early 1902 for the Bush and Gerts Piano Company as their headquarters and showroom, it also provided space for cultural events and tenants involved in the arts. The building reflects the desire of Chicagoans at the tum of the twentieth century to express their cultural aspirations and aesthetic sophistication. Built in a style typically reserved for mansions of the wealthy elite, it displays a commercial function that is unusual for the style in the context ofboth Chicago and the United States. The date of significance is 1902, when the building was completed. The Bush Temple is most significant for its exterior design, having been renovated in the interior in 1922. The building's exuberant fa<;ade, its size and mass, elaborate ornamentation in terra-cotta, and steeply pitched roof design all represent characteristics of the style. It is also the most significant extant design by J.E.O. Pridmore (1864- 1940), an important architect of residences, churches and ""atmospheric"" theaters. Pridmore made contributions to design in the areas of safety and acoustics, though most of his theaters such as the Cort (1909) and the Nortown (1931) have been demolished. "
- August 11, 2014: Added by Dave King