Goodall Building

470 Stanford Road, Danville, Kentucky

Photos 

Goodall Building

nps.gov

View this photo at nps.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Goodall Building (BO-D-493) also known as the Palm Beach Suits, Plant No.4, is locally significant under Criterion A for its association with the Goodall Clothing Company in the United States, 1850-1985. The building's period of significance is 1936 to 1963, with the significant dates of 1936-1937. The Goodall-Sanford Company was formed in Maine in the 1850s, and it came to prominence during the Civil War as a maker of horse blankets for the Union Army. After successive generations of the Goodall family running the company, it was expanded and restructured in the 1890s to include the Goodall-Worsted Company. During the first quarter of the twentieth century, Goodall-Worsted was one of the largest and most successful clothing providers in the entire country. The operation had extended off shores to reach many foreign markets and it was able to thrive even during the Great Depression. The organization was restructured and expanded again in the early 1930s, becoming the Goodall Company, and its headquarters were moved to Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1932, Elmer Ward took over as the Goodall Company president. Under his leadership the company grew to attain a global reach that made it a one of the most successful corporations in all of America. It was during Ward's early years as president that he expanded the Palm Beach Suits manufacturing arm of the enterprise into Kentucky. Danville had no textile manufacturing facilities located in the city prior to the Goodall Company's Palm Beach Suit operation in 1937. The factory was important to the local economy in several ways because it created more than five hundred jobs, mostly for women, and it spawned the construction of Danville's municipal airport called Goodall Field. The plant opened Danville up to the age of modern industry and introduced the community to more advanced commercial aviation in the span of a few short years.

Added to the NRHP 1-8-2014

Update Log 

  • July 21, 2017: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • August 13, 2014: Added by Dave King

Sources