Caddo Parish Confederate Monument
501 Texas Ave., Shreveport, Louisiana
+32.51237, -93.7499732°30'45" N, 93°44'60" W
The Caddo Parish Confederate Monument is of statewide significance under Criterion A as one of four major Louisiana monuments representing what is known by historians as "the Cult of the Lost Cause." More specifically, these monuments are Louisiana's most important representations of the Memorial Period, or second phase (1883 to 1907), of the Civil War Commemorative Sculpture Movement. These monuments represent a significant physical reminder of the period: reflecting the introduction and presence of Civil War monument construction in Louisiana and the role women played in the memorial period. This is an example of Art as History. The Cult of the Lost Cause continued to dominate Southern cultural history in the early twentieth century, and is still alive and well today. The period of significance for this memorial is 1902-1963, as explained above.
Posted to the NRHP 1-29-2014
- August 17, 2014: Added by Dave King