Campanile

Campanile, Iowa State

Photos 

Campanile

Photo taken July 2010 by Flickr user mwklein

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The campanile was constructed in 1897-1898 as a memorial to Margaret MacDonald Stanton, Iowa State's first dean of women, who died on July 25, 1895. The tower is located on ISU's central campus, just north of the Memorial Union. The site was selected by Margaret's husband, Edgar W. Stanton, with the help of then-university president William M. Beardshear. The campanile stands 110 feet (34 m) tall on a 16 by 16 foot (5 by 5 m) base, and cost $6,510.20 to construct.[3]

In 1899, Edgar Stanton donated the carillon's first ten bells in memory of his late wife. Each of the original bells is inscribed with a different quotation selected by Edgar Stanton. After Edgar died in 1920, the bulk of his estate was given to the university. In 1929, a portion of this money was used to purchase an additional 26 bells that were added to the carillon in Edgar's memory. In 1956, an additional 13 bells were purchased by the Stanton Memorial Trust. One final bell was added in 1967 to bring the carillon up to a total of 50 bells. The bells and their supports at the top of the campanile weigh nearly 30 short tons (27 t), with the heaviest bell at 5,737 lb (2,602 kg). The carillon sounds every quarter hour (playing "Westminster Quarters") and can be heard from most of campus. [Wikipedia]

Tags 

19th Century (37,676)
Ames, Iowa (19)
Built 1898 (674)
Built during 1890s (7,611)
Have Street View (44,508)
Iowa (2,514)
Miscellaneous (292)
Story County, Iowa (37)

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Added by Dave King