St. Anselm's Roman Catholic Church and School
683 Tinton Ave., Bronx, New York
+40.81621, -73.9055640°48'58" N, 73°54'20" W
St. Anselm's Roman Catholic Church and School is significant as an excellent and largely intact local example of a relatively uncommon Byzantine style church building with an attached parochial school, meeting Criterion C. Like its inspiration, the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, St. Anselm's church features multiple domes and a relatively austere brick exterior that conceals a highly ornamented interior with glittering mosaics and frescos. Founded in 1892 to serve the large German immigrant community, St. Anselm's has played a prominent role in the spiritual, social and educational lives of those in the surrounding neighborhood, meeting Criterion A for its role in the Bronx's social history. Located in the South Bronx's diverse Melrose neighborhood, as the original German congregation left the area in the mid-twentieth century, the church continued to serve the growing Hispanic and African-American community. Like many churches, St. Anselm's has played host to a variety of community, religious and social groups.
Posted to the NRHP 2-5-2014
- August 20, 2014: Added by Dave King