James M. and Leana B. Walsh House
3701 Bonnie Road, Austin, Texas
+30.29616, -97.7822330°17'46" N, 97°46'56" W
The Walsh House is an excellent local example of the Mission Revival Style as applied to a single-family residence, a relative rarity in Austin where other early twentieth century revivals were vastly more popular. Key character defining features include a curved, sculpted parapet which incorporates a blind quatrefoil window-like ornament; red tile roofs; a dominant porch with a corbel arch entry; wall ornament reminiscent of a blind arcade; multi-light windows; and thick masonry walls. Unlike most other Mission Revival residences in the Southwest, however, the Walsh House's exterior masonry walls are not covered in stucco. Instead, they are left bare, revealing a distinctive, vernacular method of construction which utilized an assortment of limestone materials ranging from precisely-cut large stones to small rubble or chips embedded into the mortar joints. The limestone building material lends additional significance to the property, as it was sourced from a quarry located a short distance from the house--likely the same quarry owned and operated by the Walsh family at the turn of the century. The house was constructed in 1926 in Walsh Place, a newly platted neighborhood which subdivided the original 100 acres that once supported the Walsh family's successful lime business.
Posted to the NRHP 2-5-2014
- August 20, 2014: Added by Dave King