1640 Bramwell Road, Richmond, Virginia
+37.48558, -77.5076337°29'08" N, 77°30'27" W
Laurel Meadow is locally significant under Criterion C in the area of significance of Architecture as an early Virginia plantation horne featuring Colonial and Federal architectural design, and is important under Criterion B in the area of significance of Politics/Government for its association with Col. David Patteson. Col. Patteson was a person of stature in eighteenth century Virginia, first as steward of a large estate, then a first lieutenant in the Revolutionary War, a colonel in the Virginia Militia, a member of the House of Delegates, and a representative from Chesterfield County to the Virginia Federal Constitutional Convention of 1788. He purchased the property that became known as Laurel Meadow in May 1776, and it remained in the Patteson family until the 1840s. Many significant modifications have been made to the house, from its original construction through the addition of modern mechanical systems in the early 20th century. The period of significance for Laurel Meadow is 1776-ca. 1933, encompassing the purchase of the property containing Laurel Meadow by David Patteson through the most recent significant alterations.
Posted to the NRHP 2-5-2014
- August 20, 2014: Added by Dave King