Springhill Historic District
W. 19th Street; W. 20th Street; W. 21st Street; W. 22nd Street; Riverside Drive, Stonewall Avenue
+37.51845, -77.4564437°31'06" N, 77°27'23" W
The Springhill Historic District is locally significant under Criterion A in the areas of Industry and Community Planning and Development and under Criterion C in the area of Architecture. The district is associated with early-nineteenth-century industrial development on the south bank of the James River. The extant aqueduct, the site of the water-control tower, and the foundations of the Manchester Waterworks are associated with an important historic trend in the development of canal transportation and the origin of industrial and residential waterworks. Springhill, the earliest documented streetcar suburb in the greater Richmond metropolitan area, preserves locally significant examples of late-nineteenth century and early-twentieth-century domestic vernacular dwellings showcasing the design, building materials, and construction techniques characterizing a streetcar suburb. The district was part of Chesterfield County until 1873 when it became one ofthe first adjacent land areas to be legally annexed to the incorporated Town ofManchester?0 The residential expansion was tied to a boom in manufacturing, quarrying, and shipping in Manchester after the Civil War. A conceptual gridiron plan of Springhill was first published in 1848, part of a larger planned development called Spring Hil/? 1 Originally called Bellevue, Springhill represented a small section, the northeast comer, of a larger planned suburb called Spring Hill. The legal plat of the present-day neighborhood was initially filed in Chesterfield County in 1862 but development was suspended during the Civil War. In 1873, the Richmond & Manchester Railway & Improvement Company initiated horsecar service along the east boundary of Springhill and the Town of Manchester annexed the 40- acre Bellevue tract. Around the tum of the twentieth century, streetcar service improved with additional routes across the 9th Street Bridge to Main Street in downtown Richmond and to quarries located farther west along the Forest Hill street railway. As part of the Town of Manchester, Springhill was annexed to the City of Richmond in 1910. The neighborhood was largely built out by the early 1930s, but infill construction continued through the early 1960s.
Posted to the NRHP 2-10-2014
- August 21, 2014: Added by Dave King