411 Scottsville-Mumford Road, Wheatland, New York
+43.01371, -77.7679043°00'49" N, 77°46'04" W
The Oatka Cemetery is significant under criteria A and C as an intact settlement era burial ground that provides information about the earliest citizens of the area and for the distinctive landscape design of its 1880s expansion, which incorporates the earlier cemetery within it and illustrates late-nineteenth century attitudes about cemetery design. The earlier cemetery, which serves as the final resting place of the village of Scottsville's early settlers, served the village and the surrounding area from its first burial in 1810. The information on the markers and accompanying iconography provide demographic and genealogical information often missing from the recorded histories of the community the larger, later portion of Oatka illustrates the lawn plan cemetery design type that became popular following the rural cemetery movement of the early to mid nineteenth century. By the time the Oatka Cemetery Association was founded (1883), the rural cemetery as a type was seen as old fashioned, and although the association occasionally referred to it as the Oatka Rural Cemetery, the plan adopted for the expanded grounds rejected the highly romantic and seemingly haphazard arrangement of burials hidden amidst dense plantings and manipulated landscapes of the earlier rural cemeteries. Although no designer has been identified, the newer portion was clearly planned to preserve the relatively flat landscape, which allowed families to display unobstructed, prominent and ornately decorated monuments and grave markers. For the cemetery association, the landscape was ideal for laying out amplesized plots in a grid pattern, a highly efficient division in terms of economics and maintenance. Still active, the Oatka Cemetery has a high degree of integrity, especially in terms of location, setting, design, feeling and association.
Posted to the NRHP 2-24-2014
- September 15, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
- August 22, 2014: Added by Dave King