Mary Ray Memorial School

Also known as: Raymond Community Center
771 Raymond Shedden Avenue, Raymond, GA

Photo 

Mary Ray Memorial School

National Register Database

View this photo at nps.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Mary Ray Memorial School is significant at the local level under Criterion C in the area of architecture as an excellent example of a rural school building with elements of the Greek Revival style. According to Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Georgia, 1868-1971, a statewide historic context, early rural public schools in Georgia usually consisted of only one or two rooms and rarely had stylistic design elements. Mary Ray Memorial School has Greek Revival features including the rectangular temple form of the original one-room building, prominent cornice lines, and an entrance portico supported by square fluted posts. Mary Ray Memorial School is locally significant under Criterion A in the area of education as the only example within the county of a school that was built by private individuals and managed by a public board of trustees to support free public education. The school taught the white children of Raymond in grades 1-8 before closing in 1949. The period of significance is from 1908, the year the school was constructed, to 1949, the last year the school held classes in the building. - National Register Database

Tags 

Built 1908 (863)
Built during 1900s (9,387)
Coweta County, Georgia (29)
Georgia (3,067)
Have Street View (43,994)
School (5,003)

Update Log 

  • August 25, 2014: Added by Michael Miller

Sources 

  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com