Historic St. James Episcopal Church - Independence, Iowa
Photo taken by Dave King
On September 9, 1863, the corner stone for the Episcopal Church building was laid by the rector, the Rev. Hale Townsend, on Chatham street (now 2nd Ave. NE) just above Mott Street (the same location as it is today).
The first service was held in the new church on Christmas 1863, and the building was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Lee on May 8, 1864. The original cost was $1,750. and the name of the parish was changed to St. James.
The church celebrated 150 years in 2006. Paperwork is being done for the National Register of Historic Places. (http://www.buchanancountyhistory.com/stjames.php)