The Milner-Schwarz House, built circa 1873, is a 1 ~story brick masonry farmhouse with a steeply-pitched intersecting gabled roof located along South Railroad Avenue in Loveland, Colorado. The land on which the house stands became the Larimer County Fairgrounds in 1970 and the house served as the fairgrounds manager's residence until2002 when the fairgrounds were decommissioned and moved to a different location. The former fairgrounds property is now one of Loveland's newest parks, the 40-acre Fairgrounds Park. Important historical structures, including a circa-1915 Pratt truss bridge, several exhibit pavilions, and bleachers from the rodeo ground, have been incorporated into the park. Today the house stands at the corner of Railroad Avenue and Fire Engine Red Road, adjacent to a small parking lot and a field for outdoor concerts and events. The setting will remain largely undeveloped, with the Big Thompson River nearby to the north, an 1890 farmstead and open fields to the west, and expansive views toward Long's Peak, preserving a sense of the site's agricultural heritage. The site is directly adjacent to the Colorado & Southern Railroad tracks to the northwest and is a short distance from downtown Loveland to the north.
The property consists of an irregularly shaped parcel .54 acres in size oriented on a northwest-southeast axis. The farmhouse sits on the southeastern portion of the site. Surrounding the property is a non-historic wood picket fence with landscaping and concrete sidewalks along with a concrete plaza area to serve as a gathering space for small events. A small parking lot abuts the southeastern property line and serves the park to the north and a dog park to the east. The grounds are used as a demonstration site for garden-wise watering, plants friendly to Colorado's climate and on proper planting techniques in addition to other master gardener programs. Montmorency and morella sour cherry trees planted on the site are representative of the trees in the late 1800s to 1960s that covered over 10,000 acres, earning Loveland the reputation as the region's best area for raising cherries in Colorado. Modern community gardens with raised beds are located on the south and western portions of the site.
Neglected for years, when the City acquired the building along with the Larimer County Fairgrounds in 2003, the house was in very poor condition. The building had been shuttered and quickly fell victim to vandals. Using City and Colorado State Historical Fund money, the house has been fully stabilized and the exterior rehabilitated. The Loveland Historical Society has now leased the house on a long-term basis and has been restoring the interior. They intend to devote the house and property to historical interpretation and education. Small events will also be held on the concrete plaza area outside the house. (NRHP Form)
Posted to the NRHP 3-19-2014