Perry-McIlwain-McDow House

Also known as: Fairview Farm
2297 Douglas Road, Lancaster, SC

Photo 

Perry-McIlwain-McDow House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Perry-McIlwain-McDow House, constructed ca. 1840, is significant architecturally as an excellent example of an essentially intact interpretation of a Greek Revival raised cottage with a temple-front classical portico containing a recessed porch with balustrade, in a rain porch configuration. The wood frame house is one and one-half stories with a central double-leaf entrance of raised panel doors with rectangular transom and sidelights, flanked on either side by two nine-over-nine windows with original glass and louvered shutters. Excellent craftsmanship is exhibited in exterior and interior details. The walls and ceilings are made of horsehair plaster over wood lath. Heart pine construction is exhibited in the flooring, the stairway, the raised panel doors, window and door surrounds, and in one original mantel in the house. Hand-hewn logs were used as floor joists, and were flattened on one side to accommodate nailing of the flooring. The original interior stair treads reveal that they were constructed from century old trees. Exposed timbers bear Roman numeral markings to match timbers. Good evidence of this exists in floor joists and upper level exposed beams. Three of the four solid wood columns of the portico are original. One was replaced in the late 1970s. The chimneys and foundation piers are made of soft hand-made brick, with the chimneys having been constructed on elevated foundations of field stone. The McIlwains and the McDows were among the early groups of Scots-Irish immigrants who came to the area in the mid 1700s, and, as many other early settlers, received royal land grants. McDow family members believe the home, which they always referred to as Fairview Farm, was built between 1830 and 1840 by Andrew McIlwain’s daughter Mary A. Perry. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places September 8, 2011. - SCDAH

Update Log 

  • September 18, 2014: Added by Michael Miller

Sources