Farmers Mercantile Hall
Photo taken by Dave King
Emma Crossley inherited the business from her father, James Crossley.
James Crossley began working at the store when he was still in school, and became its owner in 1948. Emma worked there all her life and eventually took over the store.
The building was built in 1911, shortly after the blaze that local historians have labeled the "Garrison Fire."
The Farmers Mercantile began as a coop and became a private enterprise in 1914.
In addition to a store, the site was also a gathering place where musicians would perform on Saturday nights and people would come to socialize. (http://www.vintoniowa.org/articles/News/article1013128.html)