139 Water St., Augusta, Maine
+44.31759, -69.7733044°19'03" N, 69°46'24" W
The 1913/1926 Colonial Theatre on Water Street in Augusta is the last surviving cinema in the downtown area of Maine’s state capitol. Built to replace an earlier movie house that burned along with neighboring buildings in 1912, this theater was designed by Harry S. Coombs, one of Maine’s most popular architects at the time. After another fire in 1926 the building was immediately rebuilt and the size expanded. Recent investigations have revealed that much of the façade of the theatre survived the fire, and many aspects of Coombs' design are extant. Used as a movie theater until 1969, the Colonial Theater was the longest lasting motion picture theater in Augusta, and is the only extant example of this type of property in the city. The Colonial Theatre was listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the local level of significance for its architectural importance as an eclectic example of early twentieth design by a noted architect in downtown Augusta ,and in recognition of the establishment’s lengthy significance as the town’s most important cinema.
- October 28, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
- October 22, 2014: Added by Brian Bartlett