Also known as: Bonita Theater, Haven Theater171 East Main Street, Canton, GA 30114
Photo taken by pam phillips in October 2015
+34.23654, -84.4902234°14'12" N, 84°29'25" W
For over 90 years, the Historic Canton Theatre has been a shining star for entertainment As early as 1911, the theatre was first used to show slides and silent movies in downtown Canton. Later, in the early 1920’s, the theatre changed owners and was renamed the “Bonita”, which held movie showings on Fridays and Saturdays.
During this era, the popularity of the theatre grew rapidly. The theatre was soon renovated, expanded and renamed the “Haven”. It presented the people of Canton first line shows, including their first talking motion picture,“Singing Fool”, starring famous singing star Al Jolson.
The “Haven” continued to be a movie house for several more years until the late 1930’s, when the theatre was sold to the Martin-Thompson Theatre Company. The newly named “Canton Theatre” was then remodeled to reflect the art deco design so popular during that time.
- October 14, 2015: New photo from pam phillips
- November 4, 2014: Added by Michael Miller
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Cinema Treasures
- pam phillips