Jordan, F.M., House
18 Laurel Ave., Auburn, Maine
+44.09012, -70.2254244°05'24" N, 70°13'32" W
The F. M. Jordan House is a beautiful Second Empire style house located in a quiet neighborhood in Auburn, Maine. The building was built in 1881 by the well-known local builder, C.A. Jordan, to plans by the architect Charles Sumner Frost, then of Boston. F. M. Jordan was an entrepreneur who owned a large saw mill in Lewiston and was the head of the Lewiston Aqueduct Company, which provided water to the growing city starting in the 1860s. Now divided into apartments, the physical evolution of the property paralleled a neighborhood that underwent a significant change in demographics from mill owners to working class immigrants during the first half of the twentieth century. The F. M. Jordan House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C, as a property with architectural distinction, and as the earliest known Maine property by a noted architect. The house also has significance under Criterion B for its association with F. M. Jordan who was a locally important person in the areas of commerce and city planning and development. Finally, the property is significant under Criterion A, in the area of ethnic history for the manner in which it illustrates the cultural and physical evolution of the neighborhood in the 20th century. The period of significance starts in 1881, when the building was constructed, and ends in 1964, fifty years before the present.
- April 9, 2015: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
- January 21, 2015: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
- January 10, 2015: Added by Brian Bartlett