Star Theatre

Also known as: State Theatre
3 Union Street North, Concord, NC

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This one-story building may have originated with the row of decorative one-story stores erected here ca. 1890. However, between 1913 and 1920 it was either significantly remodeled or rebuilt as the Star Theatre, the first of three motion picture theaters-with the adjacent Concord Theatre (9 Union Street North; in district) and, across the street, the now totally remodeled former Cabarrus Theatre (22 Union Street North; not in district)-that were erected in this block of Union Street North. The Star Theatre was advertised in the 1920-21 city directory as "Concord's Newest Theatre; Headquarters for High Class Motion Pictures; opposite St. Cloud Hotel." By the mid 1930s, the name of the theater had changed to the State Theatre and, as such, it continued in operation until at least 1955. The one-story brick buildinghas a glass shopfront and recessed entrance that probably date from its conversion from a movie theater to a store. Above the shopfront, the plain brick facade is decorated only with brick soldier courses above the shopfront and at the cornice and with slightly projecting brickwork on the south end that gives the suggestion of a paneled pilaster that is balanced on the north end by the same treatment on the adjacent Cannon Building. Three small windows in the upper facade are said by a local theater historian to have lit the projection room. The interior has been remodeled. - NCHPO Nomination Form for Union Street North-Cabarrus Avenue Commercial Historic District

Update Log 

  • January 30, 2015: Added by Michael Miller

Sources 

  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com