McGuire House

Also known as: Dahlonega Square Hotel
135 N Chestatee St., Dahlonega, Georgia

Photos 

Photo taken by pam phillips in August 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built by Goodman McGuire as his residence, he later sold it to buy another property. Mr. Sheldon L. Prater, a subsequent owner,added a small store building on the McGuire lot. In 1905 Mr. J. F. Moore purchased the property to provide a first home for his newly married son, Montie Moore. By 1914 the small Prater store had vanished from its original site. The McGuire House was the home of Mr. & Mrs. Dan Early from 1920 until their deaths in 1965.

Tags 

19th Century (37,425)
Built 1882 (435)
Built during 1880s (6,410)
Georgia (3,066)
Have Street View (43,977)
Hotel (2,652)
House (27,332)
In operation (2,193)
Lumpkin County, Georgia (47)

Update Log 

  • November 18, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Name", "Alternate Names" & "NRHP Status" to reflect its status as a contributing resource to the Hawkins Street Historic District
  • November 18, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Name", "Alternate Names" & "NRHP Status" to reflect its status as a contributing resource to the Dahlonega Commercial Historic District
  • August 24, 2015: Added by pam phillips

Related landmarks 

Sources 

  • pam phillips
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com