Also known as: Bank of ToccoaN. Sage St. & E. Doyle St., Toccoa, Georgia
Photo taken by pam phillips in August 2015
+34.57946, -83.3297434°34'46" N, 83°19'47" W
The Belk-Gallant Building is one of the most historic buildings in downtown Toccoa. Located at the corner
of Doyle and Sage Streets, the building that currently houses Whistle Stop Antique Market has long
been an anchor of downtown. The building is an older two-story masonry structure with a third finished
level in the basement. The total gross area is approximately 34,100 sq. ft. on three levels.
Before Belk came to downtown, the building housed the Mechanics and Farmers Bank and was originally
constructed in 1910. Belk, interested in establishing its tenth store nationwide, leased the building from
the late John Sosebee, Sam Rothell and Oscar Sosebee and moved into the building in 1937. Belk remained
on their corner location in downtown until 1995 when the store moved to its current location on
Big A Road.
- December 8, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Address", "GPS Coordinates" & "NRHP Status" and Added "Street View"
- August 29, 2015: Added by pam phillips
- pam phillips
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com