Photo taken by pam phillips in August 2015
+34.76482, -83.0640434°45'53" N, 83°03'51" W
Oconee, also spelled "Aconnee", was one of the Cherokee "Lower Towns" in what is now S.C. At the base of Oconee Mountain and on the main trading path between the British and Cherokees, it was abandoned in 1752. Oconee Station was built in 1792 as an outpost where the path crossed the Cherokee boundary. This County, created from Pickens District in1868, was named for Oconee Town.
- August 29, 2015: Added by pam phillips