"Gold Diggers' Road" Historic Marker
GA-9 & US-19 NW of Dahlonega, Georgia
Photo taken by pam phillips in August 2015
+34.57133, -83.9678334°34'17" N, 83°58'04" W
"GOLD DIGGERS’ ROAD”
This section of highway was once a part of the “Gold Diggers’ Road,” One of the earliest ways used to reach this area during the Gold Rush days.
Beginning on the Chestatee River to the east, where it connected with a route coming from South Carolina via Toccoa, Clarkesville and Cleveland, the Gold Diggers’ Road led here; thence southward, along U.S. 19 to Dahlonega, and from there to Auraria.
Much of its original course is now abandoned.
093-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
- November 18, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Street View"
- August 30, 2015: Added by pam phillips
- pam phillips
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com