Early Trading Post Historic Marker
GA-17, 1 mile east of GA-75, Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia
Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015
+34.68131, -83.6992934°40'53" N, 83°41'57" W
EARLY TRADING POST
At this point, just north of the safest ford in the Chattahoochee River, the first white settlers in this area built their campfires in 1822. A trading post was soon established on the site and Indians traded gold nuggets and gold-dust to the settlers for merchandise. The first Nacoochee post office was established at the trading post with Charles Williams, son of one of the first settlers. serving as Postmaster for more than 50 years. To this same site in 1838 soldiers gathered the Indians from surrounding valleys and highlands to begin their “Trail of Tears” to the West.
154-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955
- November 16, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Address" and Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Street View"
- September 1, 2015: Added by pam phillips
- pam phillips
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com