Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate

N Railroad St & GA 53, Tate, Georgia

Photo 

Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate The Georgia Marble Company began in 1884 as one of many small marble quarrying operations in the region. In 1905 Colonel Sam Tate became the company’s president, continuing in that position until his death in 1938. Georgia Marble Company stone can be found in monuments and public buildings around the world, including the Lincoln Memorial and the twenty-four columns of the east front of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. As the Village of Tate’s largest employer, Georgia Marble Company provided housing, recreational facilities, and schools for workers and their families. Construction of a company power plant made Tate the first electrified town in the area. 2007.3 Note: This marker is currently missing Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Marble Valley Friends, Inc., Tate Community Association, Amicolola Garden Club, and the Pickens County Government

Update Log 

  • September 16, 2015: Added by pam phillips

Sources 

  • pam phillips