Old Federal Road Historic Marker
GA-9 & Matt Hwy, Cumming, Georgia
Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015
+34.27159, -84.1009934°16'18" N, 84°06'04" W
OLD FEDERAL ROAD
The highway crossing east and west at this intersection is the Old Federal Road, firSt vehicular way and earliest postal route west of the Chattahoochee. Beginning to the east on the Hall-Jackson county line, it linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation.
Rights to use the route were granted informally by the Indians in 18003 and formally in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee.
Prior to that time the trace served a a trading path from Augusta to the Cherokees of northwest Georgia and southeast Tennessee.
058-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
- November 18, 2015: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Street View"
- September 27, 2015: Added by pam phillips
- pam phillips
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com