John Offerman House
1018 Main Street, Redwood City, California
+37.48372, -122.2264337°29'01" N, 122°13'35" W
The Offerman House is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places at the local level under Criterion A in the areas of Exploration/Settlement and Community Planning and Development. Built less than a decade after the American conquest of California, the Offerman House is a rare survivor from the earliest period of Anglo American settlement of Redwood City and San Mateo County. The Offerman House was expanded and remodeled in the early 1870s concurrent with Redwood City's evolution from a pioneer lumber settlement to the county seat of San Mateo County. Under Criterion A the period of significance spans from 1857, when the front portion of the building was built, to 1964 when Redwood City began planning to demolish most of its historic downtown. The house is also eligible at the local level under Criterion C as an unusual and well-preserved example of the Folk Greek Revival style. The Greek Revival style was the dominant style of American housing during the first half of the nineteenth century and the form was brought west by Anglo American immigrants to California during the early years of statehood. Two periods of significance under Criterion C reflect both the original construction in 1857 and the expansion/remodel in 1871. In 1974, the Offerman House narrowly avoided destruction and was subsequently restored by the Woodhams family, founding members of Redwood City's preservation community.
- February 1, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
- December 11, 2015: Added by Dave King