Lakefront house modeled after Chateau d'Azey-le-Rideau
West (Front) Elevation
The house was open for tours during Historic Milwaukee's Spaces & Traces 2016, however, this is a private residence and is not open to the public.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2016
Orrin and Henrietta toured Europe and fell in love with the Chateau d'Azey-le-Rideau (link below) and when they returned to Milwaukee, they hired Alexander Eschweiler to design a chateau-eseque house for their narrow lot the shore of Lake Michigan.
Eschweiler designed a narrow but tall structure to fit the lot. It was built with scratch-faced brick and limestone. A steeply pitched roof is clad with slate. Porch railings and window grates were created by Milwaukee artisan, Cyril Colnik. The distinctive twin bartizans are capped with candle-snuffer copper roofs. When an addition was put on the house in 1920, two more turrets were added with matching roofs.
The Robertsons lived in the house from 1912 until 1920.