Three-story Queen Anne style, red brick building, accented with limestone details
This building was erected for the Waupaca County National Bank in 1893, three years after the bank was formed. The bank occupied the first floor, and office suites were located on the second floor. The building was the most prominent professional address of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and the second floor offices were filled with some of the city's most prominent physicians and professionals. On the third floor of the building, the Knights of Pythias created their fraternal lodge, "Castle Hall." In 1906, the bank changed its name to First National Bank, but after a financial crisis, the Old National Bank took over the First National Bank and remained at this location. This Old National Bank failed in 1933 during the bank holiday of the Great Depression. But, in 1934, the bank was successfully reorganized and the Federal Government allowed the new First National Bank to open in this location. This bank was a success and remained here until 1973, when it built a new building in a more open location, just east of this district. Since that time, this building has been used for offices.
Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form prepared for the Waupaca Historic Preservation Commission with the support of the City of Waupaca for submission to the National Park Service. Document prepared by Carol Lohry Cartwright, August 30, 2001. A link to the document is listed below in the "Sources" category.