A significant neighborhood of important houses and eclectic architectural styles
109 McCall Street
The descriptions in some entries were taken from the National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet for expansion of the original historic district. A link to the document is listed in the "Sources" area, below.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning, April 2016
The McCall Street Historic District is a large, mostly residential, neighborhood consisting of primarily turn of the 20th Century properties. It is located southeast of Waukesha's commercial district and it is bounded on the west by Carroll University. The district is comprised of mostly single family dwellings, some of the larger houses have been converted to apartments. Most of these are closer to the Carroll campus. There are some modern houses and apartment buildings that are considered non-contributing. Many of the houses on the west side of the district are owned by Carroll University and are used as offices.
Most of the houses are on small urban lots, well landscaped with mature trees and shrubbery. Some houses are on larger lots, one slightly larger than a half acre. There are no empty lots in the district. Streets are paved, curb-and-gutter design with sidewalks. Street lighting is provided by reproduction fixtures reminiscent of 19th Century gas lighting.
Houses are frame construction with clapboard siding or brick veneer. Some appear to have stucco or stone veneer. Some are sided with aluminum, vinyl or asbestos siding. Note the decorative touches held over from the 19th and 20th Centuries. Designs included Greek and Tudor Revival, craftsman, American foursquare, Italianate or gabled.
Most of the houses were built between 1859 and 1930. There are very few non-contributing structures in the district, built post-war or heavily remodeled or otherwise significantly modified. Many houses have unique histories.
The original application should have listed 49 contributing buildings. With the expansion, the district now has 100 contributing buildings and 13 non-contributing buildings. Many of these properties built prior to the automobile age also have extant carriage houses. Some are listed as contributing buildings, most are not. Here's what the historical society had to say about it:
"Of note are the many carriage houses that are still extant in this district. These frame buildings are primarily one and one-half story barn-like buildings with clapboard siding and asphalt roofs. Some have been converted into garages, while others are vacant. Other garages in the district are insignificant in size and scale and are not included in the building inventory, the resource count, or on the district map. Extant carriage houses, though, are an important architectural feature in this district. As such, they included in the building inventory, the resource count, and on the district map." Quoted from the National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet for expansion of the original historic district.
The expanded boundary excludes Carroll University parking and modern campus buildings and a high school. It includes several important properties that were not a part of the original application.