Eckert Bridge

At the end of Cheeseman Road in Portersville, PA

Former car bridge over Slippery Rock Creek

Photos 

East end view

Photo taken by Brian Manville in April 11, 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A covered bridge known as Eckertís Bridge spanned the Slippery Rock Creek about 1.5 miles south of the bridge at McConnellís Mill. It was erected in 1852 and named for John Nicholas Eckert (died 1906), a man who operated a mill on the west side of the creek at that location. The covered bridge grew dangerous over the years and a lumber truck almost feel through it in early December 1933. After a truck fell through another nearby covered bridge (Breakneck Bridge) in August 1952, both aging spans were closed to traffic. Both were slated for replacement and the new Eckertís Bridge (shown above) was opened for traffic in October 1954. Eckertís Bridge was essentially isolated when Breakneck Bridge and parts of Eckertís Bridge Road, Breakneck Bridge Road, and Cheeseman Road were closed due to massive erosion in 1979. (Oct 1954)

http://www.lawrencecountymemoirs.com/lcmpages/1153/eckert-s-bridge-slippery-rock-township-pa

Update Log 

  • April 11, 2017: Added by Brian Manville

Sources 

  • Brian Manville