Brick School

Also known as: Mildred M. Fox School, Oxford Hills Christian Academy
3 E. Main St., Paris, Maine

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Brick School, Paris, Oxford County, 1940-1967

Date listed: 6/26/2017

Criterion A: Education Local Significance

The Brick School is eligible for the National Register under Criteria A: Education at the local level, as an example of a community school that was enlarged and adapted to meet the changing educational needs of the South Paris community over a period of many decades. The rebuilding of the 1883 Italianate style Brick School in a restrained Classical Revival style in1940 reflected changing national standards for school construction and a trend toward consolidation of small (typically one room) neighborhood schoolhouses into larger buildings serving children from a wider area. The rebuilt and expanded building exhibited common features of school buildings from the period, such as the banks of tall windows and portions of elevations without fenestration for blackboard walls on the interior. The school was updated with modern lighting and new ceilings between 1961 and 1967. In 1967, the school was renamed for long-time Principal, Mildred B. Fox and is commonly known as the Fox School in 2017. The period of significance is from 1940, when the building was reconstructed in its current size and form, to 1967, which is fifty years before the present.

Tags 

19th Century (38,026)
Built 1885 (586)
Built during 1880s (6,531)
Have Street View (48,286)
Maine (1,875)
Oxford County, Maine (117)
School (5,231)

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2017: Added by Brian Bartlett

Sources