East Brady First Presbyterian Church
Also known as: Newton Graham HouseKellys Way and 4th Street - East Brady
Historic church in East Brady near the Allegheny River
4th Street side
Photo taken by Brian Manville on September 12, 2017
+40.98407, -79.6192440°59'03" N, 79°37'09" W
This is the third building for the congregation. They began in the old Opera House on Broad Street in 1875. Six years later, the building burned, and the only thing rescued from the flames was the pulpit (which is still in use today.)
The congregation then raised a steepled clapboard church father down Broad Street. It was damaged by high winds in 1926 and deemed unfit for use.
At that time, Newton and Nora Graham were planning to leave town permanently for Detroit, and offered their Georgian-style mansion as a new home for the congregation. Mr Graham engaged the original architect, Henry Hornbostel, to draft the necessary changes to the building.
- September 13, 2017: Added by Brian Manville