White Oak Drive, Miola, PA
Cold blast furnace north of Clarion, PA
Photo taken by Brian Manville on December 21, 2017
+41.28635, -79.3201241°17'11" N, 79°19'12" W
Helen Furnace is located on White Oak Drive (SR 1004). It is 32 feet high with an 8 foot bosh. The furnace was built by Robert Barber & Packer in 1845, then bought by David Richey and later by Samuel Wilson, with whom David McKim was a partner for a while.
It was a cold blast furnace. Production was 756 tons in only 26 weeks in 1856, ore was mined at back of tunnel head. It was abandoned in 1856 or 1857.
It was built on the "old McNaughton farm." Named "Highland Furnace," in honor of Alexander McNaughton by the builders. McNaughton was proud of his Highland Scotland heritage. Pronunciation with Scottish accent was "heeland," which eventually became "Helen."
- December 22, 2017: Added by Brian Manville