Fort St. Charles Archeological Site
Abandoned in 1749, Rediscovered in 1908, Reconstructed in the 1950s
+49.36182, -94.9809249°21'43" N, 94°58'51" W
Originally built by the French in 1732, it was abandoned after the French and Indian War in 1749, then forgotten about. The area became part of the United States in 1803 with the Louisiana Purchase. The site was rediscovered in 1908 and efforts began in the 1950s to restore the fort.
It is not easy to get to.
- February 11, 2018: Added by J.R. Manning