Scrubgrass Stone Church

258 Stone Church Rd., Emlenton, PA

Venango County's oldest church

Photos 

Photo taken by Brian Manville on April 23, 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

It is believed to have been started in the 1790s but the exact date is not available because of a fire which burned all records.

Services were at first conducted in a tent in the grove; by 1803, in a log church; by 1815, in a frame building which was rather modern in that it contained six real glass windows, new pulpit and pews, but no stove at first; and in 1845, the present stone structure was built to accommodate the congregation especially on Communion Sabbaths when the table was used - a custom not seen in the regular Presbyterian Churches.

Update Log 

  • April 23, 2018: Added by Brian Manville