Saint James the Greater, Proto-Cathedral
218 W 12th Street, Vancouver, WA
Gothic Revival Catholic Cathedral built 1885
St. James the Greater, Proto-Cathedral
Photo taken by Richard Doody in February 2015
St.James was seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nisqually until 1903 when Bishop Edward O'Dea transferred the headquarters of the Western Washington diocese to St. James Cathedral in Seattle. The Diocese of Nisqually was formally renamed the Archdiocese of Seattle in 1907.St. James Cathedral in Vancouver reverted to a parish church.
In 2013, Archbishop J. Peter Sartain announced that Vancouver's St. James Church would be formally designated as a proto-cathedral (former cathedral) in recognition of its historical significance to the Archdiocese of Seattle.
- May 2, 2018: Added by Richard Doody