Telephone Exchange Building

1930 First Street, Baker City, OR

Two story brick commercial building built in 1910.

Photo 

Telephone Exchange Building

Photo taken by Richard Doody in May 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Hand crank telephones were introduce to Baker City in 1889. The city;s first central exchange was established in 1898 with 40 subscribers and one operator. Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company acquired the system in 1901. It built this structure to houses its office and switchboard in 1910. The building was vacated in 1954.

Tags 

Baker County, Oregon (98)
Building (4,375)
Built 1910 (1,119)
Built during 1910s (8,814)
Oregon (2,474)

Update Log 

  • May 4, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody