Jackson County Courthouse

206 N. 5th Street, Jacksonville, Oregon

Italianate 2 story brick courthouse built in 1884

Photos 

Jackson County Courthouse

Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2011

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This building served as the Jackson County Courthouse from 1884 to 1927 when the county seat was moved to Medford.The general contractor, L.S.P. Marsh,who took personal responsibility for all of the woodwork, and personally built the beautiful curved double stairway that leads from the entry hall to the 2nd floor courtroom. George Holt, who also built the U.S. Hotel, Redmenís Hall, and the Kubli Building was the brick mason.

The 1926 trial of the three De Autremont brothers for what was billed as the "last train robbery in the west" was the last judicial proceeding held in this courthouse..

Update Log 

  • May 10, 2018: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Street View"
  • May 9, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com