611 Main Street, Lewiston, ID
Movie theater 1921 - 2005
Photo taken by Richard Doody in May 2010
+46.42131, -117.0254946°25'17" N, 117°01'32" W
730 seat theater opened in 1921 by Isaac Binnard in a building that formerly housed the Bee Hive Department Store. Binnard kept the bee-hive shaped, brick, front wall creating a most imposing structure and attractive front. The floor was raked toward the recessed orchestra pit. Two of the six fire exits flanked a stage, large enough for vaudeville acts but not large enough for the few touring companies still in existence.
The Liberty was showing all talkies by 1929 films. World premiers were shown at the theater such as "Miss Lewiston" (1922), "Stagecoach" 1966, "Breakheart Pass" (1976) and "Thousand Pieces of Gold" (1991).
The Liberty was closed in 2005 and is currently undergoing restoration.
- June 25, 2018: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
- May 12, 2018: Added by Richard Doody