108 SW Frazer Avenue, Pendleton OR
Wood frame one room schoolhouse built in 1879
Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2009
Maria Byrd, a widow, donated the land for Umatilla County School District #21 in 1879. The school was originally located 6.1 miles south of Pilot Rock, near the junction of West Birch Creek and the Yellow Jacket Road. Maria and her husband, Daniel Byrd, emigrated by ox-team to the Oregon country in 1852.
The Byrd Schoolhouse has been relocated to the grounds of the Umatilla County Museum in Pendleton, OR.
- May 12, 2018: Added by Richard Doody