1501 Idaho Street, Elko NV
Photo taken by Richard Doody in November 2010
Constructed on Sherman Creek in Huntington Valley, 60 miles south of Elko, by rancher Valentine Walther. It took Walther, family and friends seven years to complete and was finished in 1903. The house served as a home, post office, stage stop and community center. Miners hauling ore from N.E. Nevada mines could stop to rest in the bunkhouse and feed livestock. The ranch was named Sherman when the post office opened. Donated to the Chamber in 1995 by Peter and Kathy Scheidemann of the XJ Ranch. House and out buildings were moved to Elko in 1997.
- May 13, 2018: Added by Richard Doody