El Rancho Hotel

In ruins
729 Lake Avenue, Wells, NV

Midcentury modern hotel built in 1949

Photos 

El Rancho Hotel

Photo taken by Richard Doody in November 2010

Enlarge

Description 

The El Rancho Hotel was built in 1949 by Italian immigrant and entrepreneur Leo Quilici. The El Rancho was the first hotel in Wells to incorporate structural steel construction and electricity. The building marked the transition of the city from a frontier outpost to a modern day community. It is a two-story, mid-twentieth century double block commercial style hotel.Some elements of the interior like the period bar and furnishings remain intact.The building is topped by a large neon sign of a wrangler and a bucking horse, created by the Young Electric Sign Company. The hotel was closed after sustaining considerable damage from a 6.0 earthquake on February 21, 2008.

Tags 

Built 1949 (214)
Built during 1940s (1,707)
Elko County, Nevada (57)
Hotel (2,481)
In ruins (259)
Nevada (875)

Update Log 

  • May 13, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody