Lightship Columbia WLV-604
1792 Marine Drive, Astoria, OR
US Coast Guard lightship commissioned in 1951
Photo taken by Richard Doody in November 2009
Columbia was the fourth and final lightship stationed at the mouth of the Columbia River. The 617 ton 128 foot vessel was built by Rice Brothers Shipyard in Boothbay, Maine and commissioned in 1951. Columbia River lightships guided vessels across the Columbia River Bar from 1892 until 1979. Columbia was the final lightship to be decommissioned on the U.S. Pacific coast.The ship is currently moored at the Columbia River Maritime Museum.
- May 14, 2018: Added by Richard Doody