Astoria Labor Temple

926 Duane Street, Astoria, OR

Art Deco influenced 4 story office building completed in 1925

Photos 

Astoria Labor Temple

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2008

Enlarge

Description 

The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners awarded a contract for the construction of a building designed by H.E. Lawrence to be used as a Labor Temple for Astoria's organized labor unions to the firm of Rohaut and Gearhart on December 10, 1924. Dedication ceremonies for the $44,000 building were held June 6, 1925. Union offices quickly filled the second floor and the ground floor was rented by Ernest C. Gutzeit for his Pedro Vegas Cigar Factory. In 1932, the Central Labor Council was unable to meet payments on the structure and the building was lost to the mortgage holders. In 1938,the Astoria Central Labor Council purchased the building from the Western Building & Loan Association and it once more housed union offices. In 1940, the Labor Club, a beer parlor and cafe, opened on the ground floor. Today the building houses three union offices and the Labor Temple Cafe & Bar.

Update Log 

  • May 14, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody