Finnish Meat Market

279 W Marine Drive, Astoria, OR

Brick with terra-cotta trim 1 story commercial building erected in 1923

Photo 

Finnish Meat Market

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2008

Enlarge

Description 

Incorporated in 1911 by Emil Rasmus, Henry Hendrickson, Isaac Tiura, the Uniontown market served the Finnish community. In 1923, architect John E. Wicks designed a new structure for the market. The Finnish Meat Market remained at this location until 1950. The arched window and transom with terra cotta trim has been recently restored and a coffee shop opened in the building. The terra cotta inset inscribed "Finnish Meat Market" remains though somewhat damaged.

Update Log 

  • May 14, 2018: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody